Friday, May 27, 2011

The "Classics"





Met my very pregnant friend Elissa for coffee with Grady and by the end, he was pretty fascinated that she had a baby in her belly. He told Rick all about it when he got home. You can only imagine what he thinks about stuff like that. Last week I was changing his diapers and he said to me, "Mommy, you have a baby in your mouth." What? He repeated it, laughing like crazy at my confusion. Then it clicked: we'd watched a TV show about a mother cat taking care of her kittens and he'd seen her carry her babies in her mouth. We'd talked about it but who knew he'd remember it? So funny.

He picks up on the craziest things. We'd gotten caught in the rain walking in the woods and I sang "Raindrops keep falling on my head, they keep falling." and he loved it. That's all I could remember but he kept asking me to sing it so I had to look up the lyrics and now he loves to watch a clip with BJ Thomas singing the whole song. He asks for it every time it rains now, and sometimes when he goes to bed.

He loves all kinds of music but I never thought he'd go for the oldies. REAL oldies. We watch cartoons (Thomas!)on PBS and one evening we turned on the TV, still tuned to PBS, and he instantly fell in love with Lawrence Welk. These shows were on before I was born, and this one in particular is "Tunes thru the Years" or something, starting with 1900 and running to the "present," the 1960's. I remember watching it with my Grandpa and Grandma Morrison when I was a very little girl in the early 70's.

Rick and I recorded it and he asks for "Bubbles" every so often. He loves the tap dancing and the big band numbers. He dances around too and shouts out all the instruments as they come up "Trombone! Clarinet! Piano keyboard!" He wants me to sing "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree" as a bed time song so I've added that to the repetoire too. With Rick being a fan of classic country and me loving 80's music and Norah Jones, this kid is going to have the craziest musical background.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...got your Facebook note the other day. Not sure why you can't comment on your own blog. You should be able to write in the spot that says, "Post a Comment" just like your readers do. Weird! How is being a SAHM treatin' ya'?

    ReplyDelete