Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Smarty Pants

Sometimes I think GradyBear is scary-smart. Or maybe its just that its stunning to hear thoughts that seem so advanced from a little kid. I had to take him to the doctor's with me. We're in the exam room, and I positioned his stroller so I could see him but he didn't get a "Full Monty" shot of me in the stirrups. He says, "I'm going to watch your ultrasound, Mommy." What? Where did he hear about ultrasounds? (and nobody get too excited about a baby, they're just checking out my equipment). Then he looks at the clock and says, "What's wrong with that clock, Mommy? It looks funny." First time he saw Roman numerals and after I explained it, he went through "I means one, II for two, III..." Bored with the clock, he checks out a poster of The Female Reproductive System and wanted to know what it was. I told him its a drawing of what it looks like inside a person. "A mommy person," he emphasized, nodding wisely. WHAT is taking that doctor so long?

On the way home we stopped at the Rockford farmers' market and as we're walking through a booth of perennials he says, "Look, Mommy, hostas. I love hostas." The seller says, "Oh, he knows his plants, huh? What's that?" and points to one. "Astilbe," Grady says calmly and the guy's eyes bugged out. Very impressed. "And that one?" pointing to coreopsis. "Flowers." Grady answers decisively. Well, can't win 'em all.

No comments:

Post a Comment